There are few foods that can warm the soul of a South African like a steaming-hot bowl of samp and beans. In this recipe, the warming spices of curry powder plus onion, tomato and potatoes take samp and beans to a new level of deliciousness.
- 500 ml (2 cups) samp
- 750 ml (3 cups) sugar beans
- 2 L water
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) canola oil
- 3 Knorrox curry vegetable stock cubes
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Rajah medium curry powder
- Mix the samp and beans together and wash well. Place in a large pot with two litres of water and cook over a low heat until they start softening. Check the pot every 30 minutes or so to see if the samp and beans need more water (don’t wait until they are cooked through and too soft).
- Once the samp and beans are slightly soft, add all the vegetables, the oil, the Knorrox cubes and the curry powder. Continue cooking for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the beans are very soft.
- Serve with chakalaka and a beetroot salad.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.