Lentil and Butternut Bobotie
Now here's a bobotie with a difference - made using butternut and lentils, this bobotie is a treat for weekday meals.
- 1 slice bread
- 100 ml milk
- 45 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 500 g butternut, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 ml chilli paste
- 5 ml curry powder
- 410 g tin tomatoes, whole
- 1 Knorr roasted Vegetables Veggie Bake
- 250 g brown lentils
- 4 eggs
- 375 ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- Cover lentils with water and simmer for 45 minutes until soft.
- Soak bread in milk and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onions.
- Add the butternut and cook covered over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chilli paste, Rajah Medium curry powder and bay leaves and lentils.
- Add the tomatoes and KNORR Roasted Vegetable Bake and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid off.
- Stir in soaked bread and mix well.
- Place the mixture into a casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Beat eggs with milk and pour over the lentil and butternut mixture.
- Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes until the custard is set and brown.
- Serve with basmati rice and chutney.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.