Tumeric, Lentil and Spinach Soup
The vivid yellow colour of this tasty lentil, spinach and coconut soup comes from turmeric, which is said to have many health benefits. Use fresh garlic and ginger for extra zing, and two KNORR Vegetable Stock posts for excellent depth of flavour. Both lentils and spinach are ingredients on our list of Future 50 Foods, as are the walnuts used to garnish this delicious vegetarian dinner.
- 30 ml olive oil
- 3 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 15 ml finely grated fresh ginger
- 5 ml cumin
- 10 ml ground turmeric
- 300 g carrots chopped
- 150 g celery sticks chopped
- 200 g uncooked red lentils
- 2 x 400 g tinned light coconut milk
- 400 g chopped ripe tomatoes
- 500 ml water
- Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 200 g spinach chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- fresh lemon juice
- 80 g walnuts roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a pot. Add the onions and fry over a medium-low heat until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for one more minute.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, carrot, celery and red lentils, and fry gently for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chopped tomatoes and water, then stir in the contents of the two KNORR Vegetable Stock Pots.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
- Using a stick blender or liquidiser, purée the soup, but dont over-process it: keep it quite chunky.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer until the spinach has just wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Just before you serve the soup, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, for freshness.
- Dish the soup into heated bowls and garnish with chopped walnuts.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.