Lentil & Boiled Egg Bredie
This lentil and boiled egg bredie is a wholesome and warm twist on this South African classic. This dish has a real kick of flavour thanks to the delicate blend of cumin, chilli and Knorr’s Cream of Tomato Soup. Give it a try and discover your new favourite meal.
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp Robertsons cumin
- 1.5 tsp Robertsons coriander
- 1 chopped chilli
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- Knorr Cream of tomato soup
- 4 tbsp water
- Soak the lentils overnight. Place the lentils in a pot covered with water and cook until the lentils are half cooked. Drain and set aside. In a separate pot boil the eggs.
- Fry the onions in the oil in a heavy-based pot until golden brown. Add the spices and chillies and sauté on low for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato, lentils, potatoes and water and let all this simmer until the potatoes are soft and the lentils are cooked. Check the mixture every 5 minutes, and add a splash of water if necessary.
- Once dish is cooked, dissolve the soup powder in the water and stir through your dish and allow to cook.
- Halve the boiled eggs, add them to the pot and serve as is, or with fluffy white rice if you like.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.