Saucy Chicken Livers with Penne Pasta
Economical, tasty, nutritious chicken livers are a great South African favourite. Combine the livers with onions, green peppers and tomatoes to make a delicious sauce, then serve piping-hot over penne pasta.
- 250 g penne pasta
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 500 g chicken livers
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Robertsons Steak & Chops Seasoning
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) tomato paste
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) cornflour
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry onion and peppers for about 7 – 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- Add the chicken livers and continue to fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes, or the chicken livers are lightly browned.
- Stir in the Robertsons Steak & Chops Spice and cook for 1 minute. Then add the tomatoes and the tomato paste, turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little cold water and add this to the pot, stirring all the time. Continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened and livers are cooked through.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the pack. Drain the pasta, immediately return it to the pot, and gently stir in the chicken liver sauce. Serve hot.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.