Your Spring Produce Guide
In today’s market, it’s not uncommon to see the same produce available year-round. However, this doesn’t mean that they produce quality stays the same throughout the seasons. The arrival of spring is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of the fresh, quality produce hitting supermarkets and markets across the country. But before you do that, here are a few benefits of eating seasonal produce:
- In-season produce is fresher and often tastes better, as it has been naturally ripened and harvested at the right time and has avoided long periods of chilling or artificial ripening.
- Seasonal food is usually sourced locally, so it ripens naturally on the plant, rather than on a truck. This means it retains more nutrients.
- Reduced carbon footprint: one of the most significant benefits of seasonal eating is that you are effectively reducing your carbon footprint and supporting more geographically sustainable food products.
- In-season produce tends to be cheaper and easier on your wallet.
- Eating with the seasons helps you eat a more well-rounded and balanced diet because the food you eat helps support your body’s natural nutritional needs during each season. For example, buying winter vegetables is likely to inspire you to make more healthy, hearty soups.
Want to know what seasonal produce is available in South Africa in spring? Keep reading for our favourite seasonal produce picks:
Craving a wholesome bowl filled with goodness? This super-nutritious rainbow bowl features an array of seasonal veggies including carrots, cucumbers and radishes. Enjoy on its own as a light lunch, or serve with crispy pan-fried tofu for a full vegan dinner.
Artichokes, asparagus, brinjals, baby marrows, beans, beetroot, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, kale, spinach, leeks, lettuce, parsnips, baby potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, red onions, rhubarb, rocket, turnips and watercress.
Apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, Cape gooseberries, cherries, coconuts, dates, grapefruit, lemons, limes, naartjies, nectarines, oranges, pawpaw, pears, pineapples, plums, strawberries, sweet melon and watermelon.
Now that you know all the benefits of eating with the seasons, and which fresh ingredients are available this spring, it’s time to incorporate your seasonal produce into tonight's dinner. Here are some deliciously different Knorr recipes to get you started: