Roasted Carrot Soup with Carrot-Top Pesto
An unusual pesto made from fresh carrot tops and coriander is drizzled over this nourishing vegetarian soup, with toasted sunflower seeds adding crunch. Use a Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot, garlic and cumin to create fabulous depth of flavour.
- 1 kg carrots, peeled & chopped into 2 cm lengths
- 35 ml olive oil
- Robertsons atlantic sea salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ml Robertsons ground cumin
- 5 ml Robertsons ground coriander
- 50 g packet Knorr thick vegetable soup
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot (dissolved in 1l hot water)
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to taste
- 40 g carrot tops, thick stems discarded (use coriander if you are unable to find carrot tops)
- 20 g coriander
- 30 ml olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 20 ml lemon juice
- 5 ml lemon zest
- 10 g sunflower seeds
- 15 g coriander
- 10 g sunflower seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Lay the carrots on the lined baking tray and drizzle with 20ml olive oil and a pinch of Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt. Toss until evenly coated.
- Roast the carrot in the oven for 34 – 45 minutes, until caramelised, tossing every 15 minutes.
- When the carrots are almost done roasting, place a pot on the stove, large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Heat the remaining 15ml olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of Robertson’s Salt. Allow the onion to cook until softened.
- Once the onions are cooked, add the garlic, Robertson’s Ground Cumin and Robertson’s Ground Coriander. Cook for a further 2 minutes, until fragrant. Be sure the garlic and cumin do not burn, so stir constantly.
- In a jug combine 250ml water with the Knorr Thick Vegetable Soup powder, then add that to the pot with the stock and roasted carrots. Bring it all to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to a light simmer.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Blend the soup until smooth, seasoning with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertson’s Black Pepper to taste.
- Prepare the carrot tops by washing them very well in cold water, then drain and pat dry. Roughly chop up the carrot tops and coriander.
- In a blender, add your carrot tops, coriander, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and sunflower seeds. Blend until fairly smooth, adding more olive oil if necessary, and season to taste with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertson’s Black Pepper.
- Divide the soup into four bowls, drizzle the pesto over the top and garnish with extra coriander and toasted sunflower seeds.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.