Millet and Cowpea Falafel Lettuce Wraps
Enjoy a vegetarian delight with these divine falafel lettuce wraps. These tasty falafels are made with two of our Future 50 Foods, millet (uphoko) and cowpeas (black eyed beans) making this recipe better for you and better for the environment too!
- 200 g uncooked millet
- Knorr brown onion Soup
- 1 cup cooked black eyed beans (cowpeas) drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint plus extra to serve
- olive oil for frying
- baby gem lettuce to serve
- 80 ml plain yoghurt to serve
- In a small pot, bring the millet (uphoko) and water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until millet (uphoko) is cooked through and all water is absorbed.
- Transfer the cooked millet (uphoko) to a food processor or blender along with the KNORR Brown Onion Soup, cowpeas (black eyed beans) and mint. Process until the ingredients are mixed well (but not fine).
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls.
- In a large frying pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until just hot.
- Carefully drop the falafels into the now hot oil, gently pressing down on each ball until they form flatter disks.
- Fry for 5-7 minutes on the first side, or until golden and crisp, then carefully flip.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the second side is also golden and crisp, then remove falafel from heat and drain on paper towel.
- Serve the falafel in the lettuce cups with yoghurt and mint.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.