Root Vegetable Stew with Yellow Rice
A mildly spiced, aromatic vegetarian stew packed with the goodness of vitamin-rich root veggies, served with fragrant yellow rice. Raisins give a pop of sweetness to the rice, and a garnish of fresh coriander adds a bright finishing note.
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 10 ml Robertsons Coriander
- 10 ml Robertsons Cumin
- 5 ml Robertsons Turmeric
- 5 ml Robertsons Cinnamon
- 2.5 ml Robertsons Crushed Chillies
- 4 large carrots, peeled & sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 4 large turnips, peeled & quartered
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled & cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 50 g sachet Knorr Tasty Brown Onion with Robertsons Mixed Herbs
- 1 ml Robertsons black pepper, to taste
- Yellow Rice:
- 400 g long grain rice
- 5 ml Robertsons ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 100 g raisins
- 15 g coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or sauce pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the Robertsons Coriander, Robertsons Cumin, Robertsons Turmeric, Robertsons Cinnamon and Robertsons Crushed Chillies.
- Saute until fragrant, another minute or so.
- Add the prepped vegetables, tin of tomatoes and the contents of Knorr Tasty Brown Onion with Robertsons Mixed Herbs. Add just enough water to cover.
- Simmer gently, stirring every now and again, until the vegetables are cooked, but not falling apart. Add a splash of water at any point during the cooking if it starts to look dry.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Yellow Rice:
- Rinse the rice thoroughly, until the water runs clear.
- Put it in a pot with the remaining ingredients. Add the correct quantity of water as per packet instructions, and cook accordingly.
- Serve the stew hot, with the rice on the side, garnishing with fresh coriander.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.