Millet-stuffed Gem Squash With Mung Beans, Walnuts and Feta
Gem squash is a beloved South African veggie which is often plainly served as a side dish. Here’s an idea for taking your gems to a new level: add a nutritious millet and mung bean stuffing flavoured with garlic, red onions, walnuts and feta, plus dried cranberries for a pop of sweetness.
- 4 gem squash
- 30 ml olive oil
- 3 Knorr vegetable stock pots (dissolved in 1.2l hot water)
- 100 g millet
- 100 g mung beans
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 60 ml Knorr French Vinaigrette salad dressing
- 50 g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 30 g dried cranberries
- 20 g parsley, chopped
- 100 g feta
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt
- Robertsons Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Halve all the gem squash, scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Brush each gem squash with olive oil, and roast in the oven, cut side up, until soft. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 180C once the gem squash are out.
- Put 200ml of the Knorr vegetable stock mixture into a pot. Rinse the millet thoroughly and add to the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the stock has been absorbed and the millet is cooked through.
- In a separate pot, add the remaining 1l Knorr vegetable stock. Rinse the mung beans thoroughly and add to the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the mung beans are tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain.
- Put 10ml olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add the cooked millet and mung beans and stir through.
- Add the Knorr French Vinaigrette Salad Dressing and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add all the remaining ingredients. Season with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertson’s Black Pepper.
- Evenly stuff each gem squash with the mixture.
- Place the stuffed gem squash back in the oven for a further 8-10 minutes. Serve warm.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.