Cowpea Pilaf served with Herb and Garlic Yoghurt
Featuring our Future 50 Foods ingredient – cowpea. Fragrant, savoury and perfectly spiced, our pilaf recipe uses Knorr Rice Mate Mild Breyani for that great tasting Indian curried rice. Balance it with a refreshing flavoured yoghurt for a scrumptious meal.
- drizzle olive oil
- 2 large onions peeled and cut into rings
- 3 carrots peeled cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves peeled crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- Knorr Rice Mate Mild Breyani
- 125 ml tomato passata
- 750 ml Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 400 g cowpeas boiled drained finely chopped
- 250 g plain yoghurt
- handful fresh parsley roughly chopped
- handful fresh coriander chopped
- 1 lemon juiced to taste
- salt to taste
- For the breyani, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot placed over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, 3 peeled and crushed garlic cloves, bay leaves, cardamom pods, fennel seeds and freshly grated ginger, and sauté until the onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the contents of the Knorr Rice Mate Mild Breyani meal kit and stir until well combined.
- Add the tomato passata and vegetable stock. Simmer, covered, over low heat until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally, about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add the boiled and drained cowpeas and stir until combined. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the herb-and-garlic yoghurt, combine the 1 peeled and finely chopped garlic clove with the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve the pilaf with a dollop of the herb-and-garlic yoghurt.
- Future 50 foods
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.