Masala Oxtail with Herby Dombolo
Fluffy dumplings flavoured with fresh herbs make a delicious topping for this rich oxtail, lentil and bean stew. Long, slow cooking creates soft, fork-tender meat and allows all the deep and complex flavours to develop.
- Masala Oxtail
- 750 g oxtail
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp cake flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 3 celery sticks coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala curry powder
- 125 ml red wine (can replace with water)
- 375 ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400 g tinned lentils drained
- 1 x 400 g tinned black-eyed beans drained
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 180 ml warm water plus extra if necessary
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Masala Oxtail
- Season the oxtail well with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and brown the oxtail on all sides.
- Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and Rajah Mild Masala curry powder and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Return the oxtail to the pot along with the red wine, water, bay leaf, thyme and tomato paste.
- Cover and allow to simmer over a low heat for at least 3 hours or until tender.
- Shred the oxtail, remove the bones and stir in the lentils and black-eyed beans and leave to cook for another 15 minutes.
- To make the Dombolo- place the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the warm water and oil. Mix to form a rough dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for about 8 minutes until smooth. Knead in the fresh herbs.
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Form the dough into balls and arrange on top of the oxtail stew.
- Cover with the lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until puffed and cooked through. Serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.