Barley, Quinoa and Spelt with Vegetables
A nutritional powerhouse of a meal! Five different grains and pulses go into this delicious vegan dish, including quinoa and spelt, which are some of the ancient grains on our list of Knorr Future 50 Foods. You can add other veggies of your choice to this dish – how about baby spinach, watercress or seasonal asparagus? Serve hot with a drizzle of vibrant basil oil, or cold as a salad with your favourite Knorr salad dressing.
- 200 g barley uncooked
- 50 g quinoa uncooked
- 50 g spelt uncooked
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 large leek
- 30 ml butter
- 2 carrots peeled and cubed
- 2 baby courgettes (baby marrows), cubed
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 100 g green beans
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 125 ml water
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 410 g tinned lentils drained
- 410 g tinned butter beans drained
- 250 ml cooked peas
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to season
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to taste
- extra basil leaves to garnish
- Cook the barley, quinoa and spelt separately, according to the instructions on the packets. Drain and set aside.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl of boiling water for a few minutes, then slip off their skins, remove the seeds and cut into cubes. Set aside on a plate.
- Cut the leeks into long thin strips. Heat the butter in a pan and gently cook the leek strips for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and baby marrows and cook for 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the green beans, the Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot and 125ml water to the pan and cook, stirring, for a minute or two, or until the beans are bright green and the contents of the stock pot have dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Create a basil infusion by placing the olive oil and basil leaves in a blender and whizzing to create a smooth green oil.
- To assemble the dish, tip the cooked barley, quinoa and spelt into a large mixing bowl. Add the drained lentils and butter beans, and the cooked peas. Finally, add all the cooked vegetables and the reserved tomato cubes. Toss well to combine and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with the basil oil and garnish with extra basil leaves.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.