Creamy Spinach Muffin Tin Pies
Fresh spinach is one of the KNORR Future 50 Foods, and it’s such a versatile, nutritious ingredient. In this easy recipe, home-made creamed spinach is combined with feta cheese and used as a delicious filling for mini pies made in a muffin tin. Use convenient ready-made puff pastry to get dinner on the table fast!
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 onions finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g baby spinach washed cut into strips
- 1 cup cream
- Knorr Thick White Onion Soup
- salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 sheets puff pastry
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 egg
- For the Creamed Spinach: Melt the butter on a medium/low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion & crushed garlic and sauté until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Cut the baby spinach into strips and stir through the onions, 1 cup at a time until just wilted.
- Drain any excess water from the wilted spinach mixture and discard.
- Mix ¼ cup of cream with the Knorr Thick White Onion Soup to form a paste. Add the rest of the cream, mix well and add to the spinach.
- Stir well & simmer until slightly reduced and thickened. Season to taste.
- Allow to cool. (Store any remaining mixture in the freezer.)
- For the Pie: Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C and grease a muffin tin.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut out discs (large enough to be pressed into a muffin tin with a 1.5cm overhang).
- Line each of the greased cups of the muffin tin with the puff pastry discs. Set aside remaining pastry for the lids of the pies.
- Mix the feta cheese into the cooled creamed spinach mixture.
- Spoon this mixture into the cups.
- Cut out 12 smaller pastry circles from the remaining pastry, to form the lids.
- Pop a lid onto each of the pies. Pinch the edges together to seal.
- Use a sharp knife to make small incisions in the pastry lids.
- Beat the egg and brush over the top of each pie.
- Bake +/- 25 minutes until golden & crisp.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and ENJOY!!
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.