Spicy Red Lentil and Pumpkin Dhal
Meat-free cooking doesn’t have to mean bland food! Add punchy layers of flavour to this nutritious Indian comfort food using garlic, ginger, chillies, spices and Knorr Mild Durban Curry Cook-in-Sauce, then top your dhal with toasty coconut flakes and fresh coriander for crunch and freshness.
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 5 ml Robertsons ground coriander
- 5 ml Robertsons ground cumin
- 5 ml Robertsons ground turmeric
- 2.5 ml Robertsons ground cinnamon
- 300 g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 250 g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 48 g packet Knorr Mild Durban curry cooking sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 x 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot (dissolved in 400ml hot water)
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to season
- 1 ml Robertsons black pepper, to taste
- lemon juice
- 5 ml coconut flakes, toasted
- fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a pot over a medium-low heat. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli, allow to cook until soft.
- Add the Robertson’s Ground Coriander, Robertson’s Ground Cumin, Turmeric and Robertson’s Ground Cinnamon, and cook for a further minute, until aromatic.
- Immediately add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, then turn it down to a simmer. Allow to cook for about 35-45 minutes, until the pumpkin and lentils are soft, and the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency.
- Season with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt, Robertson’s Black Pepper and lemon juice.
- Serve in individual bowls, topped with coconut flakes and fresh coriander.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.