Lentil Curry Pies
Now here’s a dinner with a difference! Nutritious lentils are cooked with onion, garlic, fresh ginger and chillies, then combined with coconut milk and a KNORR Vegetable Stock Pot to create a deliciously spicy filling for mini pies. Serve with chutney for a memorable meat-free family meal and make extra pies to pop into lunch boxes the next day. Lentils are one of our KNORR Future 50 foods!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 tsp peeled & grated
- 2 small chillies finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Rajah medium curry powder
- 2 tsp Robertsons ground turmeric
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 tsp Robertsons cayenne pepper flakes optional
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 sheet of filo pastry
- 1 egg
- For the Lentil Curry: Cover lentils in warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice. Soak for 1-3 hours.
- Melt the butter on a medium/low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger & sliced chili and sauté until onions are soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Combine the curry powder & turmeric and add, stirring until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 1 Knorr Vegetable stock Pot, boiling water, lentils, cayenne pepper (optional) and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer 35-40 minutes until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- For the Pies: Allow for the curry to cool.
- Preheat the oven at 180?.
- Lay the sheets of puff pastry on a floured surface and press out large circles as well as equal amount of smaller circles. Press the large pastry circles in a greased muffin tin, add the cooled curry filling and cover with the top layer of smaller pastry. Fork the edges to ensure the curry wont seep out the top during cooking. Use a fork to form a steam hole.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Serve with a side of chutney and ENJOY!
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.