Creamed Spinach Potato Bake
Now here’s a superb idea for a meat-free dinner (or a side dish that will knock the socks off your guests at your next braai!). Layers of creamed spinach and sliced potatoes are cloaked in cream infused with a hint of fresh garlic, sprinkled with cheese, then baked until tender. Spinach is one of our nutritious Knorr Future 50 Foods!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 onions finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g baby spinach washed
- 1 cup cream
- 1 packet (50 g) Knorr thick white onion soup
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to taste
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to season
- 250 ml cream
- 8 medium-sized potatoes
- creamed spinach
- 1 cup of grated cheddar
- For the Creamed Spinach: Melt the butter on a medium/low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion & crushed garlic and sauté until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Cut the baby spinach into strips and stir through the onions, 1 cup at a time until wilted.
- Drain any excess water from the wilted spinach mixture and discard.
- Mix ¼ cup of cream with the Knorr Thick White Onion Soup to form a paste. Add the rest of the cream, mix well and add to the spinach.
- Stir well & simmer until slightly reduced and thickened. Season to taste.
- Allow to cool.
- For the Potato Bake: Pre-heat the oven to 200°C & grease a baking dish.
- Combine the cream, salt and pepper and garlic cloves in a small pot. Slowly bring to the boil, switch off the heat, cover and leave to infuse.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Spread a layer of sliced potatoes into a baking dish.
- Top with a generous layer of creamed spinach and another layer of sliced potatoes.
- Repeat the process until all the potatoes and creamed spinach has been added - finishing on a layer of potatoes.
- Pour the cream over the potato and spinach layers (do this through a sieve, to remove garlic.)
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese and cover.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes until soft. Uncover and bake a further 10 minutes until golden.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Future 50 foods
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.