Tasty Samp and Beans
Enjoy this traditional South African classic with a side of chakalaka or by itself. For best results ensure you soak beans overnight.
- 2 cups samp and beans washed and soaked overnight
- 15 ml cooking oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp Rajah Mild & Spicy curry powder
- 1 tbsp Robertsons steak and chops spice
- 1 Knorrox beef stock cube
- Drain the samp and bean mix (after soaking overnight) and place it in a large pot covered with clean water.
- Leave it to simmer slowly until nearly soft, checking it every 30 minutes.
- Add more water when necessary and stir it frequently.
- Allow to simmer until soft.
- In a pot, fry the onion and green pepper in oil until soft.
- Add the Rajah Mild & Spicy Curry Powder and Robertsons Steak & Chop Spice, fry it for 1 minute.
- Stir continuously.
- Add the boiled samp and beans, Knorrox Beef Stock Cube and a little water.
- Allow to simmer slowly until the water has evaporated, stirring occasionally. The samp and beans should have a nice creamy, soft texture.
- Serve with curry, chakalaka or on its own.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.