Spicy Cowpeas with Bacon
Start drooling for a delectable cowpeas dish with smoky bacon, chicken gizzards and green peppers. Make it lekker with some local flavour by adding Knorr Chakalaka Soup to this meaty one-pot wonder.
- 1 cup black eyed peas (cowpeas) soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1 cup bacon chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 cups chicken gizzards
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 750 ml Knorr vegetable stock pot
- water for mixing
- Knorr chakalaka soup
- 1 handful of fresh mixed herbs to serve
- Heat oil, and fry onion until soft.
- Add bacon, pepper, gizzards, bay leaves, thyme, cowpeas and water or stock.
- Cook until soft.
- In a jug, mix water and Knorr Chakalaka Soup to form a smooth paste. Stir into the soup, and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve with mixed herbs.
- Future 50 foods
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.