One-Pot Beef and Quinoa Stew
A hearty, comforting beef stew made even more nutritious with one of our Knorr Future 50 Foods: quinoa. This gluten-free ancient grain is a complete protein because it contains all nine of the essential amino acids. Pack in plenty of fresh veggies, and use red wine, a Knorr Stock Pot and our famous Brown Onion Soup to create amazing layers of rich flavour. Serve with herby buttered bruschettas for an unforgettable family feast.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 800 g beef chunks
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 4 carrots diced
- 2 leeks diced
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 Knorr beef stock pot
- 1 cup red wine optional
- 4 potatoes peeled and cut
- Knorr brown onion soup
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Herb buttered bruschetta (Italian bread) to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160.
- Heat an oven-safe casserole dish (with a lid) on the stove top until hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and when warm, fry the beef in batches until caramelized on the outside. This can be done in two batches. Allow to rest on a plate when done.
- Reduce the heat to a medium and add the rest of the oil along with the onions, carrot and leeks. Cook for 7 - 8 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste to the vegetables and cook, 30 seconds.
- Return the seared meat to the pan. Add water, the stock pot, red wine, potatoes & Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to the boil, cover and allow to simmer gently for 1 ½ - 2 hours, stirring every half hour.
- When the meat is soft, add the rinsed quinoa & Knorr brown onion soup to the pot and stir well (to distribute evenly.) Ensure there is still enough liquid otherwise add another cup of stock or water.
- Allow to cook another 20-30 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the peas.
- Remove from the heat.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, serve with herb buttered bruschettas and ENJOY!!
- Chef's tip: If you would prefer not to cook with wine, replace with more stock.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.