Caramelized Pork Belly with Asian Salad
Enjoy a sticky Asian-style pork belly salad. Simply toss the pork together in a bowl, drizzle with caramel and add salad.
- 1 kg deboned pork belly skin removed
- oil for deep-fat frying
- 3 tbsp Robertsons Exotic Thai
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt to taste
- 200 g sugar
- 60 ml water
- 40 g sesame seeds
- 4 cm fresh ginger root chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 red pepper cut into julienne
- 1 small cucumber cut into julienne
- 2 medium-sized carrots cut into julienne
- 45 ml soy sauce
- 30 ml honey
- 1 fresh lemon zest grated
- 10 ml lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Robertsons Masterblends zesty lemon & herb
- Steam the pork belly for 1 hour in a saucepan filled 1/3 with water over a wire or bamboo steamer.
- Place the pork belly on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Place another layer of baking paper on top of the pork belly. Top with another baking tray and place heavy tins on top to press the pork belly down. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C .
- Slice the pork belly in 2.5cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or deep-fat fryer to 190 °C. Deep fry the pork belly in batches for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper towel. Toss the pork with Robertsons Exotic Thai and season with salt.
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 5-6 minutes or until a light caramel colour. Remove from the heat. Add the sesame seeds, ginger and chilli. Set the caramel aside.
- Place the pork belly in a baking tray. Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the red pepper, cucumber and carrot in a large bowl. In another small bowl combine the soy sauce, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and Robertsons Zesty Lemon & Herb until well combined. Toss the dressing through the salad until well combined. Set aside.
- Place the pork belly in a large bowl. Carefully pour the caramel over the pork while tossing.
- Serve the crispy pork belly with the Asian salad.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.