This meringue dessert has a pillowy centre and a crispy crust topped with nutty praline cream, sweet figs and honey.
- For the Meringue:
- 4 large egg whites (keep the yolks for a curd or custard)
- 125 g castor sugar
- 100 g muscovado sugar
- 5 ml or 1 tsp corn starch
- 5 ml or 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 5.5 ml or 1.5 tsp Robertsons Cinnamon
- 150 g fresh fig
- 70 g pistachio nuts
- 20 g honey
- For the Praline Cream:
- 200 ml or 40 tsp double cream
- 400 g mascarpone
- 50 g almond flakes
- 80 g castor sugar
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp water
- 5.5 ml or 1.5 tsp Robertsons Spice for Rice
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- Place the almond flakes on parchment paper and roast in oven. Cool the nuts off.
- Using the whisk attachment of your mixer, whip the egg whites to soft peaks (approx. 5 min).
- Add the sugar in two portions whipping for 30 secs in between. Continue whipping until a glossy stiff peak forms. A stiff peak is reached when you hold the whisk attachment upright and the meringue does not move.
- Using a spatula fold in the vinegar, corn starch and the Robertsons ground cinnamon.
- To make one large pavlova spread the meringue into a circle, alternatively pipe the meringue into mini shapes.
- Place the meringue in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 90 degrees celsius when you close the door. Bake the meringue until dry, this will be about 1hr 30 min.
- Turn the oven off and allow the meringue to cool inside the oven. (When cool take out and store in an airtight container at room temperature. It can be stored for up to two days before use).
- For the praline cream start off by making the praline, place the water and the castor sugar in a pot and caramelize the sugar. Pour the caramel onto the nuts and allow to cool.
- In a food processor blitz the praline and the spice for rice.
- Place the cream and mascarpone and blitzed praline in a bowl and whisk until a stiff peak is reached. Do not over whisk, if it splits fold in a little cream to bring it back together.
- To assemble: spoon the cream into the meringue shell and top with figs. Garnish with nuts stirred in warm honey.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.