Moroccan Chicken Meatballs with Tomato Gravy and Pap
Chicken mince seasoned with the authentic flavours of North Africa combined with the traditional accompaniments of South Africa – pap and tomato gravy.
- For the meatballs:
- 500 g chicken mince
- 20 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 12 g sachet Knorr Knorr Dry Cook-In Sauce tomato base
- 15 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- For the tomato gravy:
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 5 ml crushed garlic
- 1 tin chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 15 ml tomato paste
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 200 ml water
- 10 ml sugar
- For the pap:
- 1 litre water
- 5 ml salt
- 500 ml cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the chicken mince, breadcrumbs, egg, contents of the sachet of Knorr Dry Cook-In Sauce Tomato Base and coriander into a bowl and mix until combined (the mixture will be very sticky).
- Roll the mixture into meatballs and place into an ovenproof baking dish.
- Drizzle with a little oil and bake in the oven at 180C for 10 – 12 minutes.
- In the meantime you can begin to prepare the tomato gravy and the pap.
- To prepare the tomato gravy heat oil in a pan the fry the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot, water and sugar and season with salt and black pepper then allow to simmer on a low heat.
- As soon as the meatballs are ready add them to the tomato gravy and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- To prepare the pap bring the water and salt to the boil in a pot.
- Stir in the maize meal until well combined then reduce the heat and cover with a lid.
- Allow to simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- To serve portion the pap onto plates and top with meatballs and tomato gravy.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.