Boerewors Braai Pizza
Boerewors on a pizza? Oh yes! Here’s a fusion of South African and Italian food that will be the crowning glory of your braai. Make pizza bases from stone-ground flour, then pile on your braaied boerie along with mozzarella, cheddar, piquanté peppers and caramelised onions flavoured with Robertsons BBQ Spice.
- 1125 ml or 4 cups of white bread flour
- 1/16 tsp big pinch of salt
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 5 ml or 1 tsp white sugar
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 375 ml or 1½ cups of warm water and milk mix
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp Robertsons Mixed Herbs
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can of chopped tomato and onion mix
- 250 g of cooked, thin boerewors cut into pieces
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp Robertsons BBQ Spice
- 125 ml or ½ cup of chopped piquanté peppers (peppadew)
- 250 ml or 1 cup of caramelised onions
- 750 ml or 3 cups of mixed grated cheddar and mozzarella
- 30 g rocket for garnish
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Mix the yeast, sugar and oil into the milk mix and leave for a few minutes.
- Pour into the well and mix in the flour with clean hands, a little at a time, until it all comes together to form a sticky dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto the surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes or until it is soft and springy to the touch.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until the dough has roughly doubled in size.
- Divide into 4 pieces and roll out into circles.
- Add the Robertsons Mixed Herbs, tomato paste and canned tomato into a bowl and stir well.
- Spoon onto the bases and spread around, leaving a 2cm edge.
- Top with the cheese, boerewors, peppadews and onions, sprinkle with Robertsons BBQ Spice and bake in a hot oven or weber until the base is crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately garnish with fresh rocket.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.