Everyone's Mince and Mac
This fabulous family dish has always been one of whatsfordinner's most popular recipes - not surprising, because everyone loves a pasta bake, especially when it’s upgraded with beef mince, eggs and plenty of creamy, cheesy sauce. Serve with a crisp green salad or peas.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 Knorr Beef Stock Pot
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 30 ml tomato paste
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 5 ml Robertsons Origanum
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) margarine or butter
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cake flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 500 g macaroni
- extra grated cheddar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic until tender. Add the beef mince and fry until well browned.
- Add the Knorr Beef Stock Pot and allow it to melt into the mince. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, water and Robertsons Origanum. Simmer until the mince is cooked through and the liquid has reduced by half.
- In the meantime, cook the macaroni until al dente, according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and add to the cooked mince.
- To prepare the sauce, melt the margarine or butter in a saucepan, then whisk in the flour to form a roux. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, all in one go, then cook over a low heat, whisking continuously, until slightly thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cheddar. Once it has melted, mix in the eggs.
- Place the mince mixture in a greased ovenproof dish, then pour the cheese sauce over it. Top with extra grated cheddar, and bake at 180 °C for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.