Spicy Goat Curry
Indulge all your senses with every bite of our delicious and exotic Spice-Island-inspired goat curry. This slow-simmered, meaty curry uses Robertsons Barbecue Spice and Garlic Flakes to perfectly elevate and round off the flavours. Enjoy your curry with steamed jasmine rice.
- 500 g Goat shank (sliced or knuckle)
- 50 g Butter or Ghee
- 62.5 ml or ¼ Cup oil
- 3 medium Onions, diced
- 15 g fresh Ginger, grated
- 3 sprigs fresh Curry Leaves, extra as optional garnish
- 30 ml or 2 Tbsp Robertsons Barbecue Spice
- 15 ml or 1 Tbsp Robertsons Garlic flakes
- 15 ml or 1 Tbsp Robertsons Turmeric
- 5 ml or 1 Tsp Robertsons Cumin
- 5 ml or 1 Tsp Robertsons Coriander
- 30 ml or 2 Tbsp Rajah Curry Powder
- 4 x Cardamom Pods
- 2.5 ml or ½ Tsp Robertsons Cinnamon
- 800 g or 2 tins chopped Tomato
- 30 ml or 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 10 ml or 2 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 500 ml or 2 cups Lamb or Beef stock
- Robertsons Salt & Pepper to taste
- Season the goat liberally with Robertsons Barbeque Spice. Seal and brown the meat in the oil in a large pot on a medium heat, and then transfer them into a roasting tray, set aside.
- Using the oil in the same large pot on a medium heat, add the butter or ghee, diced onion and curry leaves.
- Sauté until the onion starts to soften and become translucent. Add the fresh ginger and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, curry powder, cinnamon and cardamom pods (crack the cardamom pods open with the back of a knife to get the full flavour) to the onion, ginger & curry leaf mixture –- sauté until you start to smell the spices toasting and developing in flavour.
- Deglaze the pot with the stock.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and brown sugar and mix through thoroughly.
- Add the goat back into the pot and simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 ½ hours with the lid off.
- Add the lemon juice, season and simmer for a final 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle generously with fresh coriander and serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- Without milk
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.