Hearty Beef Pie
We South Africans enjoy a hearty, delicious homemade pie and this family size pie is the real deal. Topped with golden, crispy pastry and rich beef filling.
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 22.5 ml or 3 tsp crushed garlic
- small bunch of thyme
- 600 gram beef chuck boneless
- 15 ml or 2 tsp Knorrox Stock - Beef flavour
- 300 ml or 1¼ cup of water
- 15 ml or 1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 128 g or 1 cup frozen mixed veg
- 400 g Puff Pastry
- 15 ml or 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 ml or pinch of Robertsons Black Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy based pot.
- Cook the onions over medium heat for roughly 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and fry until browned and sealed.
- Add the Knorrox Beef Flavour Stock Powder to 300ml of water and add to the pot. Add tomato paste and allow to cook until the meat has softened.
- Keep more stock on hand, just in case the water dries (if needed add a little stock at a time).
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Once the meat begins to soften, add the cubed potatoes and cook for 10 minutes before adding the frozen vegetables. Cook for a further 5 minutes before switching off the heat.
- Adjust seasoning according to taste.
- In a pie dish, place a layer of puff pastry at the bottom.
- Fill the delicious beef and vegetable filling and top with more puff pastry.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until pastry has cooked and browned.
- Serve your rustic beef pie hot with a healthy big bowl of salad.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.