One-Pot Beef Stew and Dumplings by Natasha Maseko
Mini dumplings steamed in one pot with tender beef simmered in stock with onion, garlic, ginger and spices.
- For the beef stew:
- 30 ml of cooking oil
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 ml of crushed garlic
- 5 ml of crushed ginger
- 15 ml of Rajah medium curry powder
- 15 ml of Robertsons paprika
- 15 ml of Robertsons barbecue spice
- 60 ml of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Knorrox beef stock cube dissolved in 375 ml of boiling water
- 15 ml of Knorr brown onion powder dissolved in 15 ml of water to make a paste
- 15 ml of Robertsons Italian herbs
- 30 ml of fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- For the dumplings:
- 375 g cake flour
- 15 ml of brown sugar
- 2.5 ml of salt
- 5 g of instant yeast
- 250 ml of warm water
- 15 ml of cooking oil for coating your hands when handling your dough
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Fry beef in batches, for 5-7 minutes, until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, fry onion until soft. About 3-5 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, Rajah Curry Powder, Robertsons Paprika, and Robertsons Barbeque Spice. Fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and cook for 3 minutes. Add the beef back to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Add stock, turn heat down to medium-low heat. Cover pot and simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours or until meat Is tender.
- While stew simmers get started on the dumplings.
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add warm water a little bit at a time until dough is just combined to a sticky, yet manageable dough.
- Rub your hands with oil then form dough into a ball. Cover bowl with a dishcloth and place in a warm place to rise for an hour.
- Knock raised dough down then form into 8/ 9 even size balls. Place on a tray, cover and allow them to rise for 30 minutes.
- At this point the beef stew has been cooking for 1 and 1/2 hours. Stir in Knorr brown onion paste and add Robertsons Italian herbs then lay in your dumplings.
- Lay the dumplings over pieces of meat so they are not submerged in the liquid. Cover pot and allow dumplings to steam for 30 minutes. During this time DO NOT OPEN THE POT.
- Sprinkle over parsley and serve immediately while hot
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.