Pork Trotters in Tomato Sauce
A simple yet deliciously hearty meal that will delight your family and friends: mangqina (pork trotters) cooked until tender in a rich tomato sauce with a touch of garlic and curry powder. Serve with samp, chakalaka and veggies of your choice. - Lazy Makoti
- 1 kg pork trotters
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 ml crushed fresh garlic
- 5 ml mild curry powder
- salt and milled black pepper
- 750 ml water
- 1 Knorr tomato Base Dry Cook-In-Sauce
- Clean the trotters thoroughly by running them under cold water.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic and curry powder. Fry over a medium heat until the onion is soft.
- Add the trotters and seal them all over by frying them for 5 minutes. Add 500ml of the water, cover the pot and simmer for about an hour, or until the trotters are tender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 250ml water and the contents of the sachet of KNORR Tomato Base Dry Cook-in-Sauce. Pour this mixture into the pot and bring it back to the boil, stirring. Now reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with samp, chakalaka and cooked vegetables of your choice.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.