Spicy Hake Stew with Garlic Toasts
This light and spicy fish stew is easy to make, and you can use any type of sustainable white fish. The secret to a great seafood stew is not overcooking the fish – hake and other delicate types of linefish cook in minutes! Serve with crispy garlic toasts or with wild rice, quinoa or millet.
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 1 Knorr Chakalaka Soup
- 800 g sustainable hake fillets, skin on, defrosted
- 3 onions, peeled and sliced
- 6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 ml Robertsons dried mixed herbs
- 375 ml water
- salt and ground black pepper
- fresh lemon juice
- finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- French bread, oil and extra fresh garlic for the toasts
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan or pot.
- Place 30ml (2 Tbsp) KNORR Chakalaka Soup powder on a plate, and lightly dust the fish fillets with it on both sides.
- Fry the fillets, skin side down and over a high heat, for only two minutes, without turning them over. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining 30ml oil to the same pan, and fry the onions over a medium heat until soft. Add the tomatoes, potatoes, garlic and Robertsons Mixed Herbs, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the water, turn down the heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the potato cubes are tender.
- Mix 30ml (2 Tbsp) KNORR Chakalaka Soup powder with 75ml (5 Tbsp) water to form a smooth paste. Stir this into the pot and allow to simmer for five minutes, to thicken.
- Place the reserved fish fillets back in the pan, stir very gently to coat, and simmer for a further 2 - 3 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with garlic toasts. To make them, brush slices of French bread with vegetable or olive oil and toast (or bake in the oven) until golden brown. Rub each slice with the cut side of a fresh garlic clove just before serving.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.