Amagwinya (Koeksisters or Doughnuts) With Caramel Glaze Coconut & Cinnamon Dust
Looking for a popular sweet treat with a twist? Try these simple doughnuts with a caramel glaze and cinnamon dust.
- 4 teaspoons Robertsons baking powder
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup ground almonds, optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- warm vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon Robertsons vanilla essence
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Robertsons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Robertsons ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder (optional)
- shredded coconut, for coating
- Sift the cake flour, sugar, ground almonds, Robertsons Baking Powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and the buttermilk.
- Whisk the egg and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients, beating well until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan.
- When the oil hot enough ladle evenly sized rounded (using ice cream scoop) spoonful of batter into the hot oil and fry until golden.
- Drain on paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Add butter and brown sugar to a heavy based pan and set on stove top set to medium heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture as the butter melts. Then add in coconut milk, salt and Robertsons vanilla essence and let boil for about 4 minutes, stirring as you go.
- Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together the Robertsons cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and powdered sugar in a shallow bowl, and set aside.
- Dunk each magwinya in the caramel glaze, followed by the cinnamon sugar dust.
- Toss the hot aMagwinya in the cinnamon sugar dust and leave to cool slightly.
- Finish with a sprinkle of coconut.
- Serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.