South African 7-Colour Chicken Salad
Impress your friends and family with this light and nutritious 7-colour inspired salad, packed with contrasting flavours and textures.
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 15 ml Robertsons mixed herbs
- 2.5 ml Robertsons cayenne pepper
- 400 g chicken fillets, cut into strips
- 400 ml cake flour
- 25 ml Robertsons chicken spice
- 15 ml Robertsons barbecue spice
- dash of sunflower oil for frying
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 400 ml fresh beetroot (raw) cut into spirals
- 400 ml finely shredded purple cabbage
- 150 g cos lettuce, rinsed and drained
- 2 small yellow peppers, cut into thin strips
- 500 ml couscous (krummelpap)
- 60 ml basil pesto
- 40 ml lemon juice
- 20 ml olive oil
- Combine the buttermilk, Robertsons Mixed Herbs and Robertsons Cayenne Pepper. Add the chicken strips and mix well. Place in a ziplock bag and marinate for at least two hours or more.
- Mix the flour, Robertsons Chicken Spice and Robertsons Barbecue Spice together.
- Set a rack on a baking sheet. Dip each piece of chicken (shake off excess buttermilk first) into the flour mixture. Make sure it is covered with the flour. Place on the rack and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 160°C and fry the chicken in batches until it is golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- To make the dressing combine all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Divide the salad ingredients between four serving bowls, top with the warm, crispy chicken pieces and drizzle with the dressing.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.