Akni is a spicy one-pot Indian rice wonder made with meat - either lamb, chicken or mutton with flavours resembling that of a breyani.
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 500 g lamb pieces, cubed
- 5 ml ginger, crushed
- 5 ml Robertsons cumin
- 1 x 275 gram box Knorr Rice Mate Mild biryani (breyani) flavour
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 litre water
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 30 ml plain yoghurt
- 30 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry the onions until soft and golden.
- Add the lamb, chilli, crushed ginger, cumin and sachet of seasoning mix found inside the box of KNORR Rice Mate Mild Breyani.
- Cover the pot and cook over a medium heat stirring occasionally until the meat is well browned.
- Add the sachet of uncooked rice (found inside the box), potatoes and water and stir well.
- Bring to boil stirring occasionally then reduce the heat and allow to simmer covered on a low heat stirring frequently for 25 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the yoghurt and chopped coriander.
- Remember the rice will continue to soften on standing.
- Tip – the lamb can be replaced with chicken if preferred!
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.