Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Dhal
Rajah Mild Masala curry powder adds gentle heat and fabulous depth of flavour to a vegetarian dish packed with nutritious lentils and sweet potatoes. Enjoy the dhal as is, or serve with your favourite Rajah curry.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root crushed
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Rajah Mild Masala curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 1 red chilli seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato peeled and cut into 2.5 cm (1 in.) pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- handful fresh coriander to serve
- handful flaked coconut to serve (optional)
- Rinse the lentils under clean, running water then place in a bowl of water and allow to soak.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the ginger, garlic and Rajah Mild Masala curry powder and fry for 1 minute to release the flavour and aroma.
- Add the salt, curry leaves, red chilli and tomato paste and fry for a further minute.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pot together with the sweet potato, water and tinned tomatoes.
- Stir well and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and allow to simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If the consistency is still soupy, continue to simmer uncovered for a further 15 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Season to taste and add a squeeze of lemon juice if necessary then serve with toasted naan bread, fresh coriander and flaked coconut.
- Monthly vegetarian
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.