Potato-Topped Pork, Apple and Ginger Casserole
Pork and ginger complement each other perfectly and the addition of the apples gives this dish a delicious fruity taste!
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 250 g bacon rashers, chopped
- 5 cm fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
- 5 ml Robertsons cinnamon
- 5 ml Robertsons rosemary
- 600 ml apple juice
- 1 sachet Knorr Country Hot Pot Dry Cook-in-Sauce
- 6 boneless pork steaks
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 pink apples, sliced into wedges (no need to peel)
- 30 ml margarine
- Robertsons freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion and bacon until soft.
- Add the ginger, Robertsons Cinnamon and Robertsons Rosemary and fry for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add a little water to the pan to deglaze if necessary then remove the pan from the heat.
- In a separate saucepan bring the apple juice to the boil then reduce the heat and whisk in the contents of the sachet of KNORR Country Hot Pot Dry Cook-in-Sauce and allow to simmer until thick then remove from the heat.
- Using an ovenproof casserole dish start to prepare the layers beginning with the bacon and onion mix, top THIS layer with 3 pork steaks followed by apples and then sliced potato.
- Repeat the layers ending with potato then pour the sauce over.
- Dot the top layer of potato with a few small knobs of margarine then cover with tin foil and place in a preheated oven for about 90 minutes or until the steaks are tender and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Season with Robertsons Freshly Ground Black Pepper and serve piping hot.
- Serve with rice and freshly steamed vegetables.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.