This special leafy vegetable is part of the Brassicaceae family of plants. Also known as the ‘mustard family’, this group of cruciferous veggies includes nutrient-dense broccoli, pak choi, and kale, all of which appear on our list of planet-friendly KNORR Future 50 Foods.
Here are some excellent reasons to include more red cabbage in your diet:
1. Packed with antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and other essential nutrients, red cabbage has ten times more Vitamin A than white cabbage, and double the amount of iron.
2. Red cabbage is a good source of dietary fibre, which is essential for keeping the digestive system working efficiently.
3. Red cabbage gets its dark purple colour from compounds called anthocyanins (the naturally occurring pigments that give red, blue and purple plants their rich colours). Anthocyanins are said to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and studies have shown that they may act as anti-cancer agents.
4. It’s so tasty! Red cabbage is slightly sweeter than white cabbage, with an earthy, slightly peppery taste balanced with a hint of bitterness. It goes particularly well with apple, onion, ginger, garlic and onions, and with aromatic spices such as fennel, caraway and cumin seeds.
5. Red cabbage is inexpensive and goes a long way, especially when shredded raw into crispy slaws, salads and stir-fries.
6. This is such a versatile ingredient, because it can be prepared in many different ways: roasted, slow cooked, braised, braaied or pickled! Try reinventing this veggie in your kitchen with our nutritious recipes:
- Spicy Boerewors and Cabbage Pasta - Cook up South Africa’s favourite braai sausage with red cabbage for this flavour-packed pasta dish. If you’re looking for a low-carb option, replace the macaroni with baby marrow ribbons or ‘noodles’.
- Red-Cabbage Steaks - Try this mouth-watering dish for an easy yet impressive vegetarian meal to wow your guests. Thick red cabbage ‘steaks’ are roasted till tender, then topped with a creamy cheese sauce, Parmesan, sesame seeds, crispy onions and toasted walnuts.
- Red Cabbage Wedges - Chunky wedges of red cabbage are a perfect replacement for potato wedges if you want a low-carb meal. Roast your wedges with KNORR Peri-Peri Sauce, oil, garlic and thyme, and serve them with toasted cashew nuts for a final crunch.
- Crispy Pork Sandwiches - Add a gourmet touch to your sandwiches by layering crumbed pork steaks, shredded red cabbage and creamy mashed avocado between slices of crisp pan-toasted bread.
- Hawaiian Rainbow Chicken Salad - In this colourful salad, salty, sweet and spicy elements come together to create bursts of exciting flavour. Take the salad up a notch with our KNORR Balsamic and Pineapple Salad Dressing!
- Seven Colour Coleslaw - Combine shredded red and green cabbage with carrots, snap peas, beetroot, yellow peppers and onion to create a modern twist on one of South Africa’s favourite celebratory salads.