Baked Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Super tasty baked eggplant (aubergine) with rich Hellmann's® Original Mayonnaise, sweet tomatoes, garlic and Parmesan cheese. A big, hearty and warming dish full of flavour.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp.) olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 125 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (16 g)
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp.) tomato paste (optional)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, undrained - (400 g)
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely torn
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) Hellmann's Original Mayonnaise, divided
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 medium eggplants (800 g) peeled if desired and cut into 1/4 - inch slices
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs or Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs (about 250 g)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (125 g)
- Preheat oven to 180C°.
- Beat eggs with 2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise in shallow bowl.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then bread crumbs.
- Arrange in single layer on lightly oiled baking sheets.
- Bake 25 minutes or until eggplant is golden.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Stir in tinned tomatoes and 1/2 cup basil. Bring just to the boiling point over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Let stand to cool.
- Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. Hellmann's Original Mayonnaise.
- Evenly spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce in a 2 litre baking dish. Layer with basil, Parmesan cheese and baked eggplant slices, overlapping slightly. Repeat layers, reserving 2 Tbsp. basil for garnish and ending with tomato sauce.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
- Garnish with reserved basil.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.