Chakalaka Soup With Chorizo, Spinach and Paprika-Spiced Croutons
Slurp it up – Knorr Chakalaka Soup and Knorr Vegetable Stock as the base, plenty of healthy vegetables and the crunchiest of homemade croutons. Enjoy the spicy flavours of South Africa and Portugal that make up this belly-warming soup.
- 100 grams ciabatta bread 2 or 3 slices, torn into bite-sized pieces
- smoked paprika, to taste
- salt, to taste
- olive oil drizzle
- 225 grams smoked chorizo, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 Knorr Chakalaka Soup
- 750 ml Knorr vegetable stock pot at room temperature
- handful basil leaves roughly chopped + extra purple basil to garnish (optional)
- 400 grams spinach, chopped
- Pre-head oven to 160°C. Place the chunks of ciabatta bread in a baking tray and sprinkle with the smoked paprika and salt. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat evenly. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and crispy, about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the soup, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the chorizo and fry over medium heat until the fat is released, about 5 minutes. Add the spring onions and garlic, and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are sautéing, combine the Knorr Chakalaka Soup and water/ Knorr Vegetable Stock in a jug, whisking continuously until smooth. Pour the soup mix into the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, uncovered, until the soup has thickened, about 10 – 15 minutes. Add a dash of water if the soup becomes too thick.
- Add the basil and spinach, and continue to cook, covered, until the spinach has wilted, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the soup among 4 serving bowls. Top with the paprika-spiced croutons and garnish with the purple basil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.