Lorraine's Durban Lamb Curry
This curry was cooked at high altitude so more liquid was required. You may require less liquid if you’re at low altitude. Your cooking time may also be shorter. Veg curries generally require less spice. Another substitute can be soya chunks which are cooked in most Indian homes as a substitute for lamb. The soya chunks are marinated with some ginger/garlic and curry powder and then cooked the same as a lamb curry.
Lorraine's perfect Durban curry, filled with flavour and mouth-watering aroma! A taste of Durban culture on a plate.
- 800 gram leg of lamb, chopped into chunks
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 star anise
- 3 small bay leaves
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) garlic and ginger paste
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Rajah Hot curry powder
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Rajah Mild Masala curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Robertsons turmeric
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 to 6 cups water
- 200 gram basmati rice to serve
- 1 handful of fresh coriander to garnish
- Cut the lamb into cubes. Soak the tomatoes in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove the skin and blend until smooth. Finely chop the onion and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot. Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and star aniseed. Fry until fragrant. Add the onion. Sauté until golden brown. Add the curry leaf and ginger/garlic paste and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the Rajah Hot Curry Powder, turmeric, fennel and Rajah Mild Masala and allow the spices to cook for 1 minute. Add a few drops of water if necessary.
- Mix in the lamb pieces and allow it to cook with the spices for 5 minutes. This is where the flavours infuse. Do not cover.
- Add the tomatoes and salt. Cover and cook until the tomatoes are cooked and the liquid has dried up.
- Add the potatoes, add water and allow it to cook until the potatoes are soft and tender.
- Garnish with coriander. Serve with rice
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.