Red-Cabbage Steaks with Creamy Cheese Sauce
Add some purple hues to your meal with roasted red cabbage. This delicious vegetarian treat is drenched in Knorr Creamy Cheese Veggie Bake and topped off with a crunchy finish. Perfect as a starter or side.
- 1 large red cabbage cut into slices
- drizzle olive oil
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to taste
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to season
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- handful fresh sage leaves
- 1 packet (43 g) Knorr creamy cheese vegetable bake
- 250 ml full cream milk
- 110 g creamy mayonnaise
- 40 g Parmesan grated
- 125 ml canola oil
- 1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 50 g walnuts toasted
- handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- basil leaves to garnish
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Place the cabbage steaks in a large baking tray, drizzle with the olive oil and season to taste. Spread the garlic and sage leaves in an even layer over the steaks, then bake in the preheated oven until the steaks are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the cabbage steaks are baking, make the crispy onions. Heat the canola oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until it reaches 160°C on a sugar thermometer. Add the sliced onion and shallow-fry until golden brown and crispy, about 5 to 10 minutes. Be mindful not to let the temperature of the oil exceed 160°C, as it will cause the onion slices to burn and taste bitter.
- Just before the cabbage steaks are ready, combine the Knorr Veggie Bake Creamy Cheese sauce, milk and mayonnaise in a jug, whisking continuously until smooth. Pour the sauce over the baked cabbage steaks, ensuring that each steak is evenly covered. Top with the grated Parmesan. Place the steaks under a medium grill until the cheese has melted and the sauce turns golden brown on top, about 2 to 3 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on the steaks as the cheese and sauce can burn easily.
- Serve the cabbage steaks topped with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, crispy onion and toasted walnuts. Garnish with the fresh flat-leaf parsley and basil leaves.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.