Quinoa and Rice 'Meatballs' in Tomato Sauce
Quinoa is a nutritious ancient grain that’s one of our star Knorr Future 50 ingredients. For this delicious vegan meal, quinoa is combined with rice and spice to make tasty ‘meatballs’ that are browned in a pan and then gently simmered in tomato sauce. Finish the dish with fresh basil leaves and a generous grinding of black pepper.
- 45 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 275 g (1 packet) Knorr mild Breyani rice mate
- 600 ml water
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 15 ml tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 15 ml Robertsons sweet basil
- 2.5 ml Robertsons black pepper
- cooked spaghetti, to serve
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat 15ml of the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for five to seven minutes, or until soft. Add the contents of the box of Knorr Mild Breyani Rice Mate and the water. Stir well and simmer until the rice has cooked and the liquid has reduced (refer to the instructions on the packet).
- When the rice is ready, stir in the quinoa, flour and breadcrumbs. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then roll it into even-sized balls, each about the size of a golf ball. Chill the balls in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a pot, combine the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, Robertsons Sweet Basil and Robertsons Black Pepper. Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the remaining 30 ml olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add the rice and quinoa balls and fry them all over until golden. Pour in the tomato sauce, put a lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Serve hot with spaghetti and a garnish of fresh basil leaves.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.