Roasted Butternut Stuffed with Quinoa, Spinach and Mushrooms
Two of our Knorr Future 50 Foods feature in this nutritious vegan recipe: quinoa and spinach! Butternut halves are roasted until tender in a Knorr Lemon & Italian Herb Cook-in-Bag, then stuffed with a delicious filling that includes mushrooms, onions, garlic, herbs and (optional) cranberries.
- 1 large or 2 small butternuts
- 35 g (1 x) Knorr lemon & Italian herb cook-in-bag
- 20 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 200 g baby spinach
- 10 ml Robertsons mixed herbs
- 1 cup cooked mixed quinoa
- the zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50 g dried cranberries (optional)
- 2.5 ml Robertsons black pepper
- Cut the butternut/s in half and scrape out the seeds. Rub the halves with the contents of the sachet of seasoning mix from the Knorr Lemon & Italian Herb Cook-in-Bag. Put them into the bag, seal it and place on an oven tray.
- Turn on the oven to 180°C and roast the butternut for about one hour, or until cooked through. Note: Ensure that the grill is off at all times. Keep enough room for the bag to expand (the bag must not touch the sides of the oven).
- Remove the butternut halves from the bag. If the cavities in the halves are a little small, scoop out some of the flesh so there is enough room for the stuffing.
- While the butternut is roasting, heat the oil in a pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for five minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further four to five minutes, or until the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Add the baby spinach, Robertsons Mixed Herbs and cooked mixed quinoa. Cook until the quinoa has warmed through and the spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest, plus the dried cranberries, if you are using them. Season to taste with Robertsons Black Pepper.
- Pile the filling into the hollows of the butternut halves and serve warm.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.