Barley Risotto with Mushrooms, Peas and Vegan Cheese
Nutritious pearl barley is wonderful for making creamy vegan risottos. In this easy recipe, white wine, garlic, thyme and Knorr Tasty Minestrone Soup with Robertsons Mixed Herbs create deliciously comforting layers of flavour. Finish with plenty of black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, then top with extra vegan cheese for an added touch of luxury.
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 ml thyme leaves
- 400 g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 x Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot - dissolved in 1.5l hot water
- 1 ½ cups pearl barley
- 120 ml white wine
- 1 x 50 g sachet Knorr Tasty Minestrone with Robertsons Mixed Herbs
- ½ cup peas, thawed
- 80 g white vegan cheese, finely grated
- 1 ml salt, to taste
- Robertsons Black Pepper, to season
- Heat the oil in a pan over a low heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook gently until soft, stirring occasionally. Be sure to not let it catch or burn.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until soft.
- Meanwhile, put your dissolved Knorr Vegetable Stock in a separate pot on the stove top over a medium heat, this must be warm when adding it to the risotto later.
- Turn the heat up to high, and add the pearl barley. Saute, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, then deglaze with the white wine, and add the contents of Knorr Tasty Minestrone with Robertsons Mixed Herbs.
- Let the white wine simmer until almost completely evaporated.
- Start adding your stock, ½ a cup at a time, stirring gently constantly until evaporated, then add your second ½ cup, repeat this process until the texture is right – the barley should still be al dente.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the peas and vegan cheese. Season to taste with salt, Robertsons Black Pepper and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with extra cheese grated on top.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.