Baked Sweet Potato and Pea Samoosas with a Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce
Who can resist a spicy, piping-hot samoosa? In this healthy version of a classic South African snack, veggie-packed samoosas are made with light phyllo pastry, and baked rather than deep fried. Serve with a sweet, spicy dip made with fruit chutney and Knorr Sweet Chilli Salad Dressing.
- 500 g sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- 30 ml canola oil, plus extra for brushing
- 5 ml Robertsons ground coriander
- 5 ml Rajah medium curry powder
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to taste
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 50 g packet Knorr thick tinned vegetable soup
- 80 g peas, blanched
- 20 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- lemon juice
- 16 samoosa pastry cases
- Sweet Chilli Dressing:
- 50 ml Knorr Sweet Chilli salad dressing
- 30 ml fruit chutney
- Samoosa Filling
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Toss the sweet potato cubes with 15ml oil, Robertson’s Ground Coriander, Rajah Medium Curry Powder and Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt, and put on a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes until soft and caramelised. Slightly mash and put aside to cool.
- Heat 15ml oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic and chilli. Cook until soft and starting to gain some light colour. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once all the filling has cooled, mix the sweet potato, onion-mix, Knorr Thick Vegetable Soup, peas and fresh coriander together. Season to taste with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt, Robertson’s Black Pepper and lemon juice.
- Prepping Samoosas
- Cover the pastry with a slightly damp cloth while rolling.
- Take about 30ml of the filling onto the edge of one strip. Fold the one corner diagonally across the filling to form a triangle. Continue folding that triangle along the strip. Brush the edge of the pastry with water and seal.
- Cover made triangles with a slightly damp cloth.
- Place all the samoosas on a greased, lined baking tray. Brush the samosas with canola oil and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden and crisp, turning half way.
- Serve the samoosas with dipping sauce.
- Sweet Chilli Dressing
- Blend the Knorr Sweet Chilli Salad Dressing and fruit chutney together.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.