Savoury Pap Croquettes
Add a traditional South African twist to a comfort classic with these delicious cheese filled deep-fried pap croquettes.
- 2 cups maize meal
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 potatoes boiled and mashed
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp Robertsons Chicken Spice
- 0.5 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 4 cups sunflower oil
- Mix cold water with maize meal and set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan add boiling water and gradually stir in maize meal with mashed potatoes, stir until well incorporated and thick.
- Add Robertsons Chicken Spice. Cook on medium/low heat while stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
- Add grated cheese, stir, set aside and allow your cooked pap to cool down, 15 – 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in medium size pan, make sure your oil is hot for crispy pap croquettes.
- Add 2 - 3 cups of cooked pap in a piping bag and pipe 5 cm long croquettes, shallow fry until your croquettes are brown and crispy.
- Once cooked, place on a plate covered with a paper towel before serving.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.