Spicy Cowpea Quesadillas
Cowpeas, one of Knorr’s Future 50 Foods ingredients, make a delicious, nutritious filling for Mexican-style quesadillas. Spice them up with KNORR Naturally Tasty Chilli Con Carne Recipe Mix, add fresh veggies of your choice, then layer them with cheese between flour tortillas. The cowpea mixture in this recipe is so versatile – we’ve given you a double quantity so you can use half of it to make a delicious starter: Spicy Cowpea Hummus! You’ll find the link to the hummus recipe at the end of the method. - Claire Winstanley
- 1 cup black eyed beans (cowpeas)
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- Knorr Naturally Tasty Chilli Con Carne Recipe Mix
- 3 cups Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 2 cups chopped fresh vegetables
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- First cook the cowpeas: Place dry cowpeas in a sieve and rinse under tap to remove any impurities.
- Place a pot and cover with water and allow to soak for 2-3 hours.
- Place pot on stove and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer until cow peas are soft.
- Remove from heat and drain away water and allow to cool.
- After the cowpeas are cooked: Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add four cups of the cooked cowpeas, plus the contents of the sachet of KNORR Naturally Tasty Chilli Con Carne Recipe Mix.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove half the mixture from the pot and save it for making Spicy Cowpea Hummus.
- To the cowpea mixture left in the pot, add the chopped fresh vegetables and cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Now assemble the quesadillas. Place one tortilla on a plate and sprinkle with some grated cheese. Top with a quarter of the cowpea filling and more grated cheese. Put another tortilla on top and press down lightly. Repeat until you have four quesadillas filled and ready to cook.
- Heat a dry frying pan. Slide a quesadilla into the pan and cook over a medium-low heat for 3 - 5 minutes, or until the cheese begins to melt. Flip the quesadillas over using a spatula and cook for another 3 - 5 minutes. Repeat until all the quesadillas are cooked.
- Slice the quesadillas into quarters and serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.