Spicy Cowpea Quesadillas
Cowpeas, one of Knorr’s Future 50 Foods ingredients, make a delicious, nutritious filling for Mexican-style quesadillas. Spice them up with Knorr Dry Cook-In Sauce Tomato Base, add fresh veggies of your choice, then layer them with cheese between flour tortillas. The cowpea mixture in this recipe is so versatile – we’ve given you a double quantity so you can use half of it to make a delicious starter: Spicy Cowpea Hummus!
- 1 cup black eyed beans (cowpeas)
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- Knorr Dry Cook-In Sauce Tomato Base
- 3 cups Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 2 cups chopped fresh vegetables
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- First cook the cowpeas: Place dry cowpeas in a sieve and rinse under tap to remove any impurities.
- Place a pot and cover with water and allow to soak for 2-3 hours.
- Place pot on stove and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer until cow peas are soft.
- Remove from heat and drain away water and allow to cool.
- After the cowpeas are cooked: Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add four cups of the cooked cowpeas, plus the contents of the sachet of Knorr Dry Cook-In Sauce Tomato Base.
- Add the Knorr Vegetable Stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove half the mixture from the pot and save it for making Spicy Cowpea Hummus.
- To the cowpea mixture left in the pot, add the chopped fresh vegetables and cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Now assemble the quesadillas. Place one tortilla on a plate and sprinkle with some grated cheese. Top with a quarter of the cowpea filling and more grated cheese. Put another tortilla on top and press down lightly. Repeat until you have four quesadillas filled and ready to cook.
- Heat a dry frying pan. Slide a quesadilla into the pan and cook over a medium-low heat for 3 - 5 minutes, or until the cheese begins to melt. Flip the quesadillas over using a spatula and cook for another 3 - 5 minutes. Repeat until all the quesadillas are cooked.
- Slice the quesadillas into quarters and serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.