Spicy Cowpea Hummus with Crunchy Vegetables
Do you know that you can use cooked cowpeas to make a deliciously spicy version of everyone’s favourite Middle Eastern dip, hummus? This recipe has a bonus – you can save half of the cowpea mixture for filling cheesy Mexican-style quesadillas! You’ll find the link to the quesadilla recipe at the end of the method. - Claire Winstanley
- 1 cup dried cowpeas
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- Knorr Naturally Tasty Chilli Con Carne Recipe Mix
- 3 cups Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- lemon juice
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced peppers
- First cook the cowpeas:
- Place dry cowpeas in a sieve and rinse under tap to remove any impurities.
- Place a pot and cover with water and allow to soak for 2-3 hours.
- Place pot on stove and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer until cow peas are soft.
- Remove from heat and drain away water and allow to cool.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add four cups of the cooked cowpeas, plus the contents of the sachet of KNORR Naturally Tasty Chilli Con Carne Recipe Mix.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove half the mixture from the pot and set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the cooled portion of the cowpea mixture into a food processor and add the lemon juice. Blitz for five minutes, or until smooth. Season to taste and tip the hummus into a bowl.
- Serve the hummus with the tortilla chips and the crunchy sliced vegetables.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.