Spinach and Corn Fritters
Home-made creamed spinach made with Knorr’s Thick White Onion Soup powder gives these golden corn fritters great flavour and texture. Serve with dollops of sour cream, a shower of fresh chives and a sweet chilli dip. Add a salad, and you have a healthy meat-free midweek meal the whole family will adore! Spinach is good for you, AND for the planet.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 onions finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g baby spinach washed cut into strips
- 1 cup cream
- 1 packet (50 g) Knorr thick white onion soup
- 3 cups creamed spinach
- 3/4 cup cheese, grated
- 1 can sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 eggs, separated
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to taste
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to season
- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- For the Creamed Spinach: Melt the butter on a medium/low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion & crushed garlic and sauté until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Cut the baby spinach into strips and stir through the onions, 1 cup at a time until wilted.
- Drain any excess water from the wilted spinach mixture and discard.
- Mix ¼ cup of cream with the Knorr Thick White Onion Soup to form a paste. Add the rest of the cream, mix well and add to the spinach.
- Stir well & simmer until slightly reduced and thickened. Season to taste.
- Allow to cool.
- For the Spinach & Corn Fritters: In a large bowl, combine the cooled creamed spinach, grated cheese, corn kernels, flour, egg yolks, salt & pepper together.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the spinach batter, don`t over mix.
- In a large pan, heat the oil to medium.
- Cook spoonfuls of the mixture in the pan, 3-5 minutes a side until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Plate up while warm, garnish with sour cream and chopped chives. Serve with a sweet chili dip and ENJOY!!
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.