This brinjal bake is easy to cook and packed with flavour. The brinjals are covered with a sauce made with onions, garlic, herbs, Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot and Parmesan cheese. The dish is then topped with Mozzarella and baked until golden brown.
- 3 large brinjals 1 cm thick, sliced
- 30 ml olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml Robertsons Origanum
- 1400 g tin plum tomatoes
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 1 large handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 80 g Parmesan cheese, grated (or Cheddar)
- 80 g dried breadcrumbs
- 200 g mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat and fry the brinjal slices for 2 minutes on each side, until golden. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and Robertsons Origanum and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil and Parmesan.
- In baking dish, layer the brinjals on the bottom, followed by the tomato sauce. Repeat until the brinjals and sauce are all used.
- Top the bake with Mozzarella and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.
- Better For You Tips: For a wholesome twist to this dish saute a punnet of sliced button mushrooms when cooking your onions.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.