Spicy Asian Tripe Stew with Pap
Take tripe to a new level by braising it with garlic, ginger, chilli, spices and other exciting Asian flavours. Thicken your stew with Knorr Oxtail & Vegetable Soup, then serve it with pap and a topping of spring onions and fresh coriander sprigs.
- 1 kg beef tripe, cleaned and cubed
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt
- 30 ml canola oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cm piece of ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, seeds discarded & finely chopped
- 30 ml flour
- 20 ml Chinese 5 spice
- 100 ml brown sugar
- 40 ml soy sauce
- 50 g packet Knorr oxtail & vegetable soup
- 1 Knorr beef stock pot (dissolved in 400ml hot water)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 Knorr vegetable stock pots (dissolved in 800ml hot water)
- 500 ml milk
- 400 g cornflour (mealie pap)
- 30 g butter
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to season
- Robertsons ground black peppercorns, to taste
- TO SERVE:
- 2 spring onion, sliced
- 10 g coriander sprigs
- Put the tripe in a large pot, cover with water and a large pinch of Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a light simmer. Allow the tripe to simmer for 3 hours or until tender, topping up the water if need be. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a pot over the stove top on a medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and continue to saute, stirring continuously, for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, cook for a further 15 seconds, then add a dash of your liquid Knorr Beef stock, stir until the flour has broken up and is smooth.
- Then add all the remaining ingredients, including the tripe and another 600ml water. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the stew for an hour. If the liquid is still very runny, strain some of it out and allow it to reduce separately, but be sure to not reduce it too far as it will become salty.
- Stir the sauce back into the stew, if you did separate it, and season to taste with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertson’s Black Pepper.
- Bring the Knorr Vegetable stock and milk to a boil. Pour the mealie pap into the boiling liquid, whisking continuously. Add the butter and turn down the heat, place the lid on the pot and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to steam for a further 10 minutes.
- Season with Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt and Robertson’s Black Pepper.
- To Serve
- Serve the stew, garnished with spring onion and fresh coriander, with the pap on the side.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.